Forum

Post subject: Seat post offset
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:01 am 
Query about seat post offset / layback or whatever you want to call it..!!

Looks like I'll be buying a dropper post soon...!! My current setup has about 20mm offset post I would say, it's the post that came with the frame and I've not experimented with any other post setup.

My question is why would you go offset vs straight and for what reason.?

I think my position seems ok no back ache, arms reach etc I don't want to buy the wrong post as a dropper is much more expensive than a normal post.

I was under the impression that an offset post was a cheat method to lengthen your reach ( had layback on my bmx as a kid looked much cooler. :D ) so I'm not sure how to determine how to choose correct post.

I've also notice there are many more droppers WITHOUT an offset.. :shock:

What's everybody thoughts.??
:D

--------------------------------------
Stay on target...!!

Post subject: Re: Seat post offset
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:11 am 
I would say you have answered your own question here...

offset set post are mostly used to lengthen the reach of a bike frame (which in my opinion to the wrong way of doing it (check out the frame geometry stuff I have post up a while back)) so by fitting one to your current frame might make it feel to short (que lengthening the stem would is just as bad).

What frame are you running? spec of handle bar/stem set up as you could change these to help make the fit of the frame size better for you with the new post

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:35 pm 
A layback seatpost won't affect reach, only distance saddle to bars, and effective seat tube angle.

I had the same dilemma coming off a Thomson layback, and was looking for an offset dropper, but like you say there's not a lot of choice. I ended up with a reverb, which isn't layback, but not totally inline either. It ended up fine for me because I set up the dropper slightly higher at full extension than the Thomson (which was say half an inch lower than optimum as a compromise for a fixed height post). The slight offset, slight moving saddle back a bit, and slightly higher position was enough to give me the same distance saddle to bars, without changing bars/stem.

Something else you can try if it's a problem (if you don't want a longer stem) is fit Renthal, (some) Kore or BooBar handlebars, as their sweep extends your cockpit slightly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:05 pm 
Just fitted a set of boo bars & that slight sweep has made a really positive difference to the feel of front wheels. Works for me