Forum

Post subject: 1x help please :-)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:32 am 
Hi all, done my research just need to check it's going to work before I commit.

I currently have Specialized Camber running 2x10 with a 11-36 rear cassette, SRAM X9

I want to fit a Sunrace MS3 10 speed 12-42 cassette, will this work with my current rear derailleur or will I encounter problems? Will
I need a new chain if I'm fitting a new cassette?

I could go 11-40 but the 11-42 works out better when I do the maths/ratios.

Thanks, Jay

Post subject: Re: 1x help please :-)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:11 pm 
No direct experience with Sunrace BUT here's my thoughts on drivetrains...

1 - New cassette = new chain
2 - The spring in the X9 is strong and should be enough to keep the chain tight
3 - They will say you would ideally need a short or medium length rear mech, in my experience this isn't needed

What I would say is VWSurfbum is running a Praxis 11-40 I think with SRAM XO as a 1 x 10 and has no problems.

I'd also expect to see you change your front chainrings to a single narrow/wide chainring - this is normally a 30t to a 34t depending on how strong you feel your legs are - most from what I see are either 30t or 32t. As your subject is "1 x help please" I'd have expected you to mention the front chainring as well ;)

For me something like a 32t Narrow/Wide Chainring coupled with the Sunrace MS3 and a new chain (personally a KMC ultralight works for me) would work spot on and the Sunrace cassette being £40 makes the 1 x 10 conversion dead cheap - especially considering the Praxis cassette it over double that!

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:23 pm 
I will be running a 32T NW chain ring, that's the simple but that just bolts on, I can handle that bit! I use my bike for long XC sometimes so want to maintain a semi decent low gear aswell as a high gear for trail centre hence going for the 11-42 and try to eek out as much range as possible, thanks for you input :-)

Do you mean a long or medium cage is recommended as I thought short cages were not recommended?? Think I have medium cage, definitely not a short cage.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:06 pm 
You'll want a Medium cage so it will go the full range without too much issue.

that sunrace cassette has certainly got my attention, as Stumpie will tell you i sometimes wish i had that tiny bit extra. And my Praxis cassette is now showing signs of wear so will need replacing (when the dry weather is more permanent)

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:24 pm 
Been running the praxis 11-40 cassette for a while and a oneup 42T big ring with a normal cassette for a while now on my two bikes, i would say 11-40 is better on a full sus frame than 11-42 just because of building in a bit of slack for the chain and derailleur when the bikes bobbing up and down (chain growth). I still run an upper chain guide with a NW chain ring to make sure i don't every drop a chain. PS i always use a medium derailleur as well

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:26 pm 
Cheers Matt, what size chain ring do you use with both???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:09 pm 
Both run 34T (26" 160mm trail bike and 29er trail hardtail), but i am fit and like a challenge. Would recommend an oval chain ring as it makes the pedal stroke smoother and easier

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING