Forum

Post subject: Help me decide ! Continetal Trail Kings 2.4 or 2.2!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:04 pm 
Ok so wanna change my tyre setup Hans Damf up front which is OK, Nobby Nick on the rear very unpredictable at times!both tyres are 2.35 which i enjoyed the extra volume, confidence inspiring at the front! compaired my old 2.2's! I.m not fussed over extra weight! So does it come down to the terrain you ride! trail, enduro, all mountain! Also need room to squeeze a large mud guard up front !, so gonna be tight with the 2.4's!

Post subject: Re: Help me decide ! Continetal Trail Kings 2.4 or 2.2!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:15 pm 
Contis are narrow I would go 2.4 not seen trail kings up close

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:20 pm 
I found the 2.4 on the front was too much most of the time... and 2.4 on the back is way too much...

I've 2.2 Mountain King on the front and 2.2 XKing on the back of the 29er. If anything I want to have another Mountain King for the back now weather is changing again.

Then on the 650b I have Maxis Ardents - great on dry rocks, sand, gravel poo the moment there is any moisture... so they'll be changed shortly... and when I do I'll probably put 2.2 Mountain King front & back.

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:29 am 
I'm rideing with Schwalbe hans damp trailstar front and Rock Razor pacestar rear (been using hans pacestar on the rear beforehand). The idea was to have a fast rolling, heavy hitting trail riding set up. I have to say the rock razor has made a big difference in the rolling speed and a bit in weight. The grip on the rear is a werid one, tyre likes to slip around and slide when in a straight line but as soon as you turn it grips like nothing else. The only thing this set up does not like it mud, gets clogged up if the mud is stickly but you will be hard pushed to fine a non winter tyre that is not the same. Every other type of ground is fine.

Makes it a fun ride.

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 am 
Have you had a look at any of these..??

WTB.. Weirwolf, Bronson, Vigilante, Wolverine.. :mrgreen:

I was going to run WTB's but got such good price £££'s on schwalbe's it was a no brainier..!!

Most of the WTB's are highly rated in the good 'ol U S of A..!!

Forgot to say, if your buying schwalbe always go here... http://www.bike-discount.de/

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 am 
Nextdaytyres.co.uk is a good one to look at as well

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:29 am 
Just bought a new schwalbe magic mary for the front for the winter. fine with the highroller on the back, but any freshly cut rooty stuff, the highrollerscan get a bit slippy, so hoping this will improve things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:19 pm 
Cheers for the info chaps!, popped over Thorndon yesterday , boggy in places the Hans Damf didnt get clogged up, as long as your rolling fast! The Nobby Nic was sliding all over the place! Got a mystery discount with up to 40% off (which i bet i haven't got)

the conti trail kings do come up alittle narrow so hopefully the 2.4's will be similar volume to the 2.35's i'm running!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 pm 
Mattvanders wrote:
I'm rideing with Schwalbe hans damp trailstar front and Rock Razor pacestar rear (been using hans pacestar on the rear beforehand). The idea was to have a fast rolling, heavy hitting trail riding set up. I have to say the rock razor has made a big difference in the rolling speed and a bit in weight. The grip on the rear is a werid one, tyre likes to slip around and slide when in a straight line but as soon as you turn it grips like nothing else. The only thing this set up does not like it mud, gets clogged up if the mud is stickly but you will be hard pushed to fine a non winter tyre that is not the same. Every other type of ground is fine.

Makes it a fun ride.

That's what I've been looking at Matt! a all mountain , hard hitting trail setup! With low rolling resistance!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:30 pm 
Simon wrote:

That's what I've been looking at Matt! a all mountain , hard hitting trail setup! With low rolling resistance!

Wellcome to come and have a try before buying

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:48 pm 
I know I've seen a post on here somewhere but can't find it, so I'll hijack this one.. :D

@Mattvanders or any one who knows..??

I want to buy a Rock Razor but I'm getting some rear inner frame rub, currently running Hans Dampf I know both tyres are 2.35 but was hoping maybe Razor is narrower.. Any ideas..??

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:01 am 
My last set of Trail Kings I twisted the bead tread on them at BPW, did a brilliant slide into a wet berm but the rear tire gave up, mechanic in shop said these are prone to this kind of bead twist and he had seen 3 that week do the same.

So I changed to a set of Bontrager tyres, XR4 team issue on rear now and must say they are good tires and last outing at BPW all stayed put and rolled really well. and easiest tire's to set up tubeless too :thumbup: :thumbup:

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/tyres/bontrager-xr4-team-issue-tyre-review

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A