Forum

Post subject: Taking a bike with ryanair...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:19 pm 
Hey guys so ive got family over in Norway and there's a new bikepark opened over there.... and there's hafjell..... so i cant really miss the opportunity to ride both of them.....

this is the new one

http://www.trysil.no/no/Gjore/Sommer/sykkel/for-voksne/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9kneipSd_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOkRP3KeFm8

and this is hafjell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4PW5X-teW4

so i was thinking about the best way to get my bike there. i have a few options...

Drive... its 1200 miles so will only be worth it if i take at least one other person with me....

Ship the bike via DHL to my cousins house before i fly out and then ship it back..... :S dont know how well dhl will look after my bike......

or fly with ryan air does anyone have experience with this?

im a bit concerned because they state on their terms and conditions that they have the right to refuse when i arrive at the airport with my bike??

any help much appreciated :)

Post subject: Re: taking a bike with ryanair...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 pm 
I can't speak about ryanair but i have flown with easyjet with my bike last year, no trouble what so ever. I think there are a couple of things that you have to do to make life easier. First is to actually book it in as a bike rather than just extra luggage/heavy item (will cost more but at least they know what they you are bringing). Secondary, make sure the bike and content is the correct weight, better to pay for a suit case as well instead of playing buck a roo on the scales at the airport. Thirdly and i think most important is to pack the bike right, a cardboard box mght be cheap but if they want to look inside it for any reason you would have to open it up again (so get a bike bag or even hire one). Have fun

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:58 am 
Thanks matt :) i shall give them a call and see what they say :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:47 am 
Have flown easy jet lots with bikes but not with Ryan Air. Easy Jet are ok. Ive never had an issue.

I dont think Ryan Air have as good a reputation with cyclists as they don't 'guarantee' your bike will get on despite it costing 60 each way to have it included. I think their bike box weight limit is 20kg which is tight. Easy Jet / BA is deffo more

With the extra costs once you have added everything in i wouldn't be surprised if BA is cheaper - or very close on price - if your flying to Oslo -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:38 am 
Easyjet was £70 extra for when I went Spain with 32kg weight for comparison. Might be worth looking in to hireing as well (might be cheaper)

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:03 pm 
Thanks for the replies guys i would happily take easyjet but they no longer fly to norway at all :( i might also see what Norwegian airlines offer aswell :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:17 am 
Personally would avoid Ryanair if you need to pay for luggage. We flew SAS to Oslo for Hafjell, as it had the best bike luggage allowance. Was awhile back, so it's maybe changed.
Got a transfer with bikes to Hafjell with Norwegian Wood Travel.
You should definitely go. It rains all the time, there's no nightlife, and booze is expensive (take your full allowance), but it's one of, if not the best, bike parks in Europe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:06 pm 
Thanks scula. im quite lucky in the fact that my family owns a cabin on the same mountain as hafjell. so transfers food and nightlife wont be a problem as ill be hanging out with them :) the weather is not an issue either as i travel to norway atleast twice a year as it is so im used to it :)

i will look at sas and see what they offer :) to be honest if i can convince a friend or 2 to come with me i may end up driving

Thankyou once again for your replies....