Forum

Post subject: Novice questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:43 pm 
Hello, I have a few questions for you any help would be appreciated. I have googled and it's mind boggling.

The first is about general maintenance. Can you recommend a grease to use for my mtb bearings etc my bikes ok at the moment but determined to do as much of the maintenance my self with the help of the web and this forum. Just building a up a collection of the bits and bobs needed. What oil do you recommend for forks. Got chain lube sorted I think seems to be working.

Second question, this is the one I'm hoping some of you are familiar with the area I'm riding. Tyres, to much choice and I don't actually know what I need. My bike came supplied with maxxis Ikon tyres 27.5 x 2.2. They work lol, I have no point of reference! I'm happy with them but I know no different. So when it comes around to changing what do I get? Also autumns on the way. Where I'm riding is a mix of tarmac paths, that compressed gravel ( correct name?) and single track trails. I'm not doing anything extreme, but do like to move fast when possible (fast for me)
So what do I need, will I need something else come winter? Also is an inner tube just an inner tube or is worth searching out a certain brand. I've seen lots about tubeless, not ready for that yet.

Third one, I'm happy with my bike, spent time learning how to set it correctly for my comfort, seat height etc etc, been making adjustments over the time I've been riding and now I have a feeling I could do with a shorter stem, I'm not sure why because I don't actually know anything. Have looked up on subject and again it's a mine field, my current ones 60mm.

Thanks for your time

Post subject: Re: Novice questions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:08 pm 
Welcome! You're right about it being a minefield! A lot of things are down to personal preference, such as tyres.
Bike grease, I use finishline stuff but it depends on the application. For fork servicing I use slick honey. A lot of the bearings are cartridge type so don't need greasing really. 60mm stem for what sounds like and xc bike sounds fine, why not try wider bars?
What forks do you have? Are you up for servicing them yourself?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:19 pm 
Hi Eccles, my bike is billed as a xc/trail bike and seems fit for purpose. I noticed the 2016/17 bikes do have wider bars. Mines a 2015 model, they are 680 wide. I was happy to by an older model at a discount rather than all my budget on this years £600 bikes. In last few days I've been questioning my reach. In a relaxed position my arms are locked out all though I lean forward when I ride, no discomfort or difficulties encountered.
My forks are rockshoc air shocks. I'm not sure a full service is in my capabilities, was meaning more just oiling the seals and general care, I've read something somewhere lol, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:13 pm 
Ah after wiping down the seals I use Brunox Deo, pump the forks and then wipe the stanchions again.

680mm bars are a bit on the narrow side but wider ones would result in and increased reached so you may be right and a shorter stem could be worth a try. Superstar components do some cheap ones if you want to try out some lengths.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:59 pm 
Thanks for your help, will take a look

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:20 pm 
Welcome to the forum.

A slighty chunkier front tyre may help give you more confidence, maybe stick an Ardent up front to go with an Ikon in the rear? Winter time you may want to look at another tire setup depending on how far you follow the singletrack into the forests :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:16 pm 
Cheers fellas thanks for the suggestions. On the stem length question it dawned on me this morning out on my ride that I dropped the stem by one spacer a few days ago, think that answers part of my question :roll: will be returning it to the original position later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:42 pm 
NealeRodger wrote:
For an XC/trail bike you don't want any wider than you have bar wise.

:shock: :eh:
780mm my personal preference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:59 am 
Scula wrote:
:shock: :eh:
780mm my personal preference.

What he said :thumbup:

Last edited by seedoubleyou on Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:20 am 
740-780mm is my joint usually

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:26 am 
Yeah I agree with the others...680 is abit narrow something around 740 for xc/trail and 760 plus for anything else

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:55 pm 
If you add width to the bars remove the same amount off the stem ( 680 bars changed to 740 bars, the stem could easy Chang from 60 to 40 if the frame has enough length in the top tube for you)

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:48 pm 
So I took a punt on new bars and a stem, bewildering the amount of choice out there. Seems I've got away with it. It all fits lol.
The bars are 760 brought with a view to cut down. The bike feels much better with the shorter stem, I left the bars at 760 and gave it try tonight felt ok. I'm guessing you slide the grips down to where your thinking of cutting them and give it a test run before the hacksaw comes out?
Think I've almost got the bike sorted now after a few minor upgrades. Just waiting for my new seat to arrive a want rather than a need.

Cheers fellas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:58 pm 
WinstonSmith wrote:
So I took a punt on new bars and a stem, bewildering the amount of choice out there. Seems I've got away with it. It all fits lol.
The bars are 760 brought with a view to cut down. The bike feels much better with the shorter stem, I left the bars at 760 and gave it try tonight felt ok. I'm guessing you slide the grips down to where your thinking of cutting them and give it a test run before the hacksaw comes out?
Think I've almost got the bike sorted now after a few minor upgrades. Just waiting for my new seat to arrive a want rather than a need.

Cheers fellas.

Keep them 760 for a good few rides until you like it /definitely know you want them shorter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:11 pm 
Just chop 5mm off at a time on each end and ride. If you do go too far youv'e only gone 10mm. Don't do what my numpty pal did and take 30mm off then realise you lost that long bar feel, ruined how your bike rides and have to buy more handlebars!