Forum

Post subject: Re: Novice questions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:21 pm 
Scula wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:
So I took a punt on new bars and a stem, bewildering the amount of choice out there. Seems I've got away with it. It all fits lol.
The bars are 760 brought with a view to cut down. The bike feels much better with the shorter stem, I left the bars at 760 and gave it try tonight felt ok. I'm guessing you slide the grips down to where your thinking of cutting them and give it a test run before the hacksaw comes out?
Think I've almost got the bike sorted now after a few minor upgrades. Just waiting for my new seat to arrive a want rather than a need.

Cheers fellas.

Keep them 760 for a good few rides until you like it /definitely know you want them shorter.

Will do :thumbup: going on a few long rides this weekend and working lates next week so will have plenty of time to ride :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:22 pm 
PabloGT wrote:
Just chop 5mm off at a time on each end and ride. If you do go too far youv'e only gone 10mm. Don't do what my numpty pal did and take 30mm off then realise you lost that long bar feel, ruined how your bike rides and have to buy more handlebars!

Lol, thanks for the warning

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:28 pm 
Think I'm going to keep them at 760mm, all good. Cheers fellas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:14 pm 
WinstonSmith wrote:

Re tyres, if I were you I'd get a High Roller 2 for the front and keep an Ikon on the back until they're done. When the conditions get shitty, put the HR2 on the back and get a Beaver for the front. HR2 isn't really a mud tyre, but you sound like you do a fair bit on tarmac, so this would be a good compromise as a mud tyre on the back will really drag. As said, Dirty Dans are excellent in the real shit, but they will do your head in on tarmac.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:47 pm 
Scula wrote:
WinstonSmith wrote:

Re tyres, if I were you I'd get a High Roller 2 for the front and keep an Ikon on the back until they're done. When the conditions get shitty, put the HR2 on the back and get a Beaver for the front. HR2 isn't really a mud tyre, but you sound like you do a fair bit on tarmac, so this would be a good compromise as a mud tyre on the back will really drag. As said, Dirty Dans are excellent in the real shit, but they will do your head in on tarmac.

Thanks for the advice :thumbup: your right lots of Tarmac especially on my longer missions, my shorter rides I tend to explore a little but imagine it's all pretty tame to you lot. My main aim is exercise and it's a fun way to do it on a MTB, I'm certainly getting faster and fitter with the help of the cock waggling app (that's what my mrs calls it)