Forum

Post subject: Epping 16th October - Sunday - Mud Check
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:20 pm 
Bit last minute, but all are welcome. Embrace the mud and welcome Epping back propper :D

Aim to be at Bury Road Car park @ 12:45pm, setting off at 1pm.

E4 7QJ

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.63 ... !1m0?hl=en

We will start with Epping 1 Reverse trail in the correct direction, but with no hard and fast route. I will try my best to tailor the ride to who turns up and what they want to ride within the constraints of Epping.

http://www.trailforks.com/region/epping-forest/

I hope I'm wrong, but expect a muddy slippy not particularly quick ride in some places. Aiming to avoid as much of the showers as possible, but there will be some so bring a waterproof with you. Planing to get back before dark so lights shouldn't be needed.

Props to Bugeye for some copy and pasting of his earlier Epping ride threads but its all relevant:

FAQ.

What do I need to bring?

Apart from you and a bike...
Some way of dealing with a puncture a spare inner tube in whatever flavour you need is best as it’s quick to change... a repair kit is good to carry but a bit of a faff to use in the middle of a ride. If you’ve got a tube lots of people will help you to change it... pull out some patches and glue and we’ll meet up with you on the next ride ;) . A pump, someone will have one but you should have your own anyway.

A chain quick link to match your chain type for those broken chain moments.

Multi tool and tyre levers, again someone will probably have them but so should you!

Something to drink and a snack.... cereal bar, banana or similar. We stop for bacon but you never know when the munchies will hit.

Is the ride suitable for beginners?

Really the answer is yes and no.... This isn’t a ‘fast’ ride but you do need some sort of basic fitness level ( not much... but some ) . There aren’t any massive descents that need full body armour but there are some ‘interesting’ sections. Nothing that can’t be rolled over. Lots of slippery roots to keep you on your toes though.

We stop at the end of each section for everyone to catch up and get their breath back, although maybe not as much as you would like. We try ( with limited success sometimes ) not to lose anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:34 am 
I will give it a miss guys.. Still raining here and really don't fancy another mud bath after Monday. Have fun. I hope it stays dry for you.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Epping 16th October - Sunday - Mud Check
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:23 am 
Shame about this mornings rain... was running really well yesterday. A few muddy patches starting to appear but most of the trails were spot on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:41 am 
You never know, it might not be too bad, but this is Epping we are talking about. Expect a trail conditon report later :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:12 pm 
Nice to meet you Alex, good fun ride :)

Yep, its now a bit muddier and the waterproof was required for about 15-20 mins of it. Cut a little short due to my exploding derailieur cage :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:22 pm 
Glad it was a good day for you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:37 pm 
Ended up riding the last few miles with 3 bolts in my stem to handlebar clamp, the fourth ended up here.
Bodgetastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:20 pm 
Ouch...Hope you can get that sorted without too much financial pain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:33 pm 
Top trail side bodgery :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:28 pm 
I will most likely be out riding this Sunday, but unsure if it will be Epping or somewhere else at the moment. Will keep you posted :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:30 pm 
Think I'm going to end up doing some exploring in Kent tomorrow now. If I have any urge leftover I'll prob get in on the Danbury ride on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:50 pm 
Nice Kent loop that I've done a few times.... https://www.strava.com/activities/731754632

GPX here... http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=F97EE4BD2ECA9E5CBD08CDD08A3C979B.fe3?fileId=gtvxzkmzyytbuywt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:35 am 
Thanks bugeye, but I'm visiting a friend in Gravesend first so will be riding from Shorne and around Cobham and Cuxton areas. Thanks for the links, I'll save 'em for another day :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:55 am 
It's a nice loop... nothing that technical just good xc riding.

Did it ages ago as a group ride http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain-bike-away-days-events/north-downs-22nd-june-t5587.html?hilit=ightham