Forum

Post subject: Chain wear and Cassette
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:13 pm 
Hello, brought myself a chain checker and new chain, just incase I needed it (I do). It's the simple type 0.75 one side and 1.0 the other. Well both sides went in the chain easy :o From what I've read you need a new cassette if the 1.0 side drops in. To me the cassette looks ok no sharp pointy teeth. Is it really new cassette time ? Cheers, sorry for another newb question.

Post subject: Re: Chain wear and Cassette
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:20 am 
Just fit a new chain and see how you go. No jumping.... no problem. If the new chain jumps buy and fit a new cassette ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:49 pm 
bugeye wrote:
Just fit a new chain and see how you go. No jumping.... no problem. If the new chain jumps buy and fit a new cassette ;)

Went out on the new chain this morning and it's Jumping, Ordering a new cassette now :thumbup: Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:00 pm 
:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:54 pm 
Depending on what set up and cost can make a difference to what and how you change your chain. I know a mate that will swop his chain even before it gets to the 0.5 mark and can run the same cassette for year and a half hard use (he's running 1x11 gx). If you still on 10 speed lower grade you might as well just use till it skips all the time and change the whole set up. Another mate running xo1 set up found the cassette wears very well compared to the gx cassette even though it's twice the price, he has even swoped the big ring for a 44 one up to get more out of the set up

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:17 pm 
Mattvanders wrote:
Depending on what set up and cost can make a difference to what and how you change your chain. I know a mate that will swop his chain even before it gets to the 0.5 mark and can run the same cassette for year and a half hard use (he's running 1x11 gx). If you still on 10 speed lower grade you might as well just use till it skips all the time and change the whole set up. Another mate running xo1 set up found the cassette wears very well compared to the gx cassette even though it's twice the price, he has even swoped the big ring for a 44 one up to get more out of the set up

Been riding the bike for close to 4 months, was expecting a little more than that. Very gritty where I ride so I guess that's done the damage, I clean drive train regularly and if I checked earlier would of saved a few quid. I'm getting the bug and may build a bike soon, will save a 1x11 for that.

What the easiest/quickest way to keep the drivetrain tip top? Are the chain cleaning devices any good?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:27 pm 
Grit kills gears way more than riding ever does. I tend to use muck off to break down old lube, then leave for a few minutes. Rinse off with water and a brush, apply gt85 to prevent rush, then at the start of the next ride apply silicon base lube. I will be the first to say I'm slack at washing my bike but I can get a year out of a cassette with two/three chain swops. Never tried a chain cleaning tool so can't comment

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 pm 
:thumbup: Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:51 pm 
As Matt says, I get a year out of mine usually, regular cleaning and lube increases longevity.
Muck off for the cassette, chain brush / tool followed by a good lubing.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42 pm 
I have a chain scrubber, It makes cleaning it easier and quicker than using brushes

Gets loads of grit out
Defiantly worth buying one

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:20 pm 
Cheers Fella's. Do you use just the standard muc off cleaner or are you using a specific muc off product for the chain?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:30 pm 
I use the blue chain cleaner in the cleaning tool and other than that just normal muc off

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:04 pm 
Use cheaper chain like a slx or kmc equivalent and change more often, that way you won't have to change your cassette as much and it will last longer..:)

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:36 pm 
Thanks for the tips fellas :thumbup: will certainly be watching out for chain wear now. New Cassette, chain and shift cable plus outer tube. I've managed to get it working better than when I got the bike 8-)