Forum

Post subject: Pressfit hope bottom bracket
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:27 pm 
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... prod118519
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... prod130426
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... prod147501

After running pressfit bottom bracket bikes for a number of years and trying a number of different brands to try and find one that would fit my needs (not creeky, metal cups so stronger, good quality bearings ...ect) I ended up buying the hope pressfit bb.

The bb that shimano and sram are cheap plastic through away items costing £30ish so at £86 the hope bb is expensive, to add to the cost I actually bought the ceramic one at £113. To be fair I did look at the sram ceramic bb as well and that's at £135! At leat with hope you can just replace the bearings rather than the how thing. I have also run a number of random brand bb that I found on eBay, metal cups and ceramic bearings but I have still found they have failed for different reasons.

The other thing with the hope bb is that you need a special tool to install it in the frame :shock: adding another £40. But this tool is one of the reasons why the hope bb might be the best bb you can buy (I was lucky, I asked around and one of group had already bought it so I could borrow it). With other pressfit bb you have to press the two bearings into the frame and it's the cranks that keep the bb under tension in the frame but this can lead to creeking. The hope bb has the bearings pressed into the frame as other bb do but the central sleeve is machined in such a way that it threads into the drive side from the non drive side pulling both bearing into each other, this means that the crank do not need to be over tightened to keep the bb in place. It's almost like they have engineered a threaded bb into a pressfit design. The special tool is used to install the whole bb but it's only the central sleeve that really needs the tool for installation.

So it probably takes only another minute to install over a normal pressfit bb, jobs easy enough to do in half hour with the fit tools, lube and cleaners. I will be running this on my winter hardtail so will see how this compares to the other bb that I have run.

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

Post subject: Re: Pressfit hope bottom bracket
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:06 pm 
I've tried all different makes of BB's over the years, they all seem to have lifespan of around 6-7 months, so about 3 years ago I put a Hope SS BB on the stead, and it's still in good working order.

Hope yours lasts as well.

There's a pun for you free of charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:32 pm 
I was very dubious about the std SRAM plastic press fit BB, but mated with a plastic frame and plastic cranks it's been silent and smooth for a year now. I did buy a ally one in the on-one sale before Christmas for £8 so when this one gives up the ghost and I use that one I'll still be over a hundred pounds better off than installing a hope one, and the chances of me keeping a Bike long enough to be up to a £150 worth of BB is slim.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

Post subject: Pressfit hope bottom bracket
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:47 pm 
Just having a Hope BB fitted to the Whyte, as the sram one is starting to feel sluggish, so hoping the initial outlay will be worth it, saying that the original sram one has lasted almost a year and a few welsh weather runs and peaks and Yorkshire rocks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:48 pm 
Replaced my SRAM PF 30 with a Wheels Manufacturing BB - now I just replace the bearings when they start to groan, £13 a go....I prepack them with grease and seem to last quite a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:27 am 
The hope one is a great idea for horrid press fit frames but it won't work on BB30 frames :( that size BB doesn't have the tube insert..so basically not much better then standard other than better cups so you can replace bearings...
Also praxxis make one too..:)

Stay on target...!!