Forum

Post subject: Dropper post help
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:50 pm 
Thinking of getting a dropper post for my 2014 Boardman FS Pro. Frame size is a small, with a 350mm long post.

To get a comfortable pedalling position for climbing I have it extended just beyond the minimum insertion point (the frame is a little too small for me, in hindsight, but it was too good a price to say no to at the time.
When at Danbury Common I tend to drop it as far as I can to get it out of the way on the descents, which measures at 120mm of drop. Would like to get one then explore further afield to Hadleigh, Swinley and eventually BPW.

Sadly dropper posts are so expensive so I need to get this right first time, I need external routing on my frame, and would like the 120mmish drop I get now with the manual drop. Thinking of a reverb. But a 31.6mm 125mm drop post is only available in 390mm length?

Does the above mean I will be unable to set it up to the same raised and lowered points as my existing seatpost? The seat tube has a slight bend in it hence my inability to completely drop the seat post all the way into the bike. Is the 390mm of the reverb going to be too long? Will it still all work ok and I'm over thinknig it?

Or is it 390mm long when extended, meaning its no problem to just insert a bit more and then drop it to the same position?

Second option is to put the money towards a new frame/bike, but new bikes cost far more than I would like to spend.

Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: dropper post help
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:44 am 
The collar of any dropper is larger than a qr/post/saddle - so in truth nothing will go as low as your current setup.

However if you have a frame that is a little too small for you then it should be well out the way no matter what.

I find dropper are a compromise. I have a 150mm drop and I find I have it as low as I can on the frame but this means even when it's extended it's a little low (5/10mm) for climbing.

If I were you I've get one, once you've learnt to live with the compromise (up or down) then you'll find you can't live without it.

Also it may be worth contacting your local bike shop to see if they have a demo one - that was you can try before you buy - though not many places will offer this!

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:14 pm 
When I have my post at full drop right now, I have about 110mm of post still exposed. Guess I'm just trying to make sure its not going to be too high?

Think I'll have to try to get a try before you buy.

Other option is to go for the 340mm length with 100mm of drop and compromise there. Or another brands and accept it is cable operated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:57 pm 
If you've got a 350mm post and you can drop it 120mm from fully extended, that would suggest you can accommodate up to a 470mm long dropper post?
If you've got 110mm of post still exposed when dropped, that would suggest you can accommodate a post with a 150mm drop?
Definitely don't get a 100mm drop post, I'd get 125mm minimum, and it sounds like you could go for a 150mm drop if needed.
Even if your bike shop hasn't got a demo, they should know how to fit a correct sized dropper.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:00 pm 
Scula wrote:
If you've got a 350mm post and you can drop it 120mm from fully extended, that would suggest you can accommodate up to a 470mm long dropper post?
If you've got 110mm of post still exposed when dropped, that would suggest you can accommodate a post with a 150mm drop?
Definitely don't get a 100mm drop post, I'd get 125mm minimum, and it sounds like you could go for a 150mm drop if needed.
Even if your bike shop hasn't got a demo, they should know how to fit a correct sized dropper.

I was doing the maths earlier, I think 125mm will be fine. 150mm tempts me, will look around at those options too. Thanks!