Forum

Post subject: Rainham noob (ish)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:19 pm 
Hi everyone,
I've returned to cycling after a long time away. Recently had a visit to Hadleigh park and found out 2 things, firstly how much I've missed riding down things, secondly, how bad I am at getting up things. Literally blowing through my arse and hyperventilating trying to get up the hills, failing miserably and getting off and walking up. Hired a bike when there, was a very nice scott hardtail worth £1500 or so. Rode down the red and some of the black section and was comfortable with it and didn't really feel out my depth despite so long away, thoroughly enjoyed myself (apart from riding/walking uphill). Don't own an mtb at the mo, poodling about on an old trek hybrid which will just about get me around on some of the singletrack nearby, now looking to get something. I thought id give a full susser a go, never owned one, always rode mainly hardtails but remember a mate owned a marin east peak years ago and it was a damn fine ride. I see quite a lot of full suspension bikes now come with a large price tag, not really in my price range particularly for someone like me with limited skill. However, I see that Giant are doing one that's under a grand called 'stance 2' looks reasonably specced and has had mainly good reviews. Have thought seriously about buying this but wanted some opinion on the whole full suspension thing in general. I'm 6'2 carrying a spare bit of timber at over 18 and half stone, wondered if any similarly built riders have recommendations/frame size etc. There seems to be a fantastic choice on ebay but I'd prefer to establish which frame size would suit me. Apparently large giant frames come in at 19" but having ridden 19" I found them a bit cramped. Anyway any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated and apologies for such a long winded opener

Post subject: Re: Rainham noob (ish)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:05 pm 
For your budget, take a look at Boardman as well - if you time it right, and join British Cycling, you can get about 20% off in a sale, plus a further 10% through the membership. Their FS Pro is decent, which would cost you around £1,100 under these conditions. I've been riding one for eight years and it's been great, though it's time for an upgrade for me! Regarding weight and sizing, I can't really offer any advice so hopefully somebody else will comment on that - but know that there are plenty of options for XC bikes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:45 am 
filthyturk wrote:
Hi everyone,
I've returned to cycling after a long time away. Recently had a visit to Hadleigh park and found out 2 things, firstly how much I've missed riding down things, secondly, how bad I am at getting up things. Literally blowing through my arse and hyperventilating trying to get up the hills, failing miserably and getting off and walking up. Hired a bike when there, was a very nice scott hardtail worth £1500 or so. Rode down the red and some of the black section and was comfortable with it and didn't really feel out my depth despite so long away, thoroughly enjoyed myself (apart from riding/walking uphill). Don't own an mtb at the mo, poodling about on an old trek hybrid which will just about get me around on some of the singletrack nearby, now looking to get something. I thought id give a full susser a go, never owned one, always rode mainly hardtails but remember a mate owned a marin east peak years ago and it was a damn fine ride. I see quite a lot of full suspension bikes now come with a large price tag, not really in my price range particularly for someone like me with limited skill. However, I see that Giant are doing one that's under a grand called 'stance 2' looks reasonably specced and has had mainly good reviews. Have thought seriously about buying this but wanted some opinion on the whole full suspension thing in general. I'm 6'2 carrying a spare bit of timber at over 18 and half stone, wondered if any similarly built riders have recommendations/frame size etc. There seems to be a fantastic choice on ebay but I'd prefer to establish which frame size would suit me. Apparently large giant frames come in at 19" but having ridden 19" I found them a bit cramped. Anyway any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated and apologies for such a long winded opener

Go to a Giant dealer (or any other make you fancy), get them to fit you to the right size, and ride a demo bike to make sure. It's not just your height, but leg length and arm length, and personal preference. Ignore the 19" part, it's not consistent across different bikes.
There is also a bike called a Calibre Bossnut that is getting good reviews for £999 because the spec is so good for that price, from Go Outdoors, but don't know if you can try one for size?

I've ridden a Giant Trance and it's a very good bike. This time of year manufacturers bring out their 2018 bikes, so you can get a deal on 2017 bikes. A lot of the time it's just a different colour.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:26 pm 
Scula wrote:
filthyturk wrote:
Hi everyone,

Go to a Giant dealer (or any other make you fancy), get them to fit you to the right size, and ride a demo bike to make sure. It's not just your height, but leg length and arm length, and personal preference. Ignore the 19" part, it's not consistent across different bikes.
There is also a bike called a Calibre Bossnut that is getting good reviews for £999 because the spec is so good for that price, from Go Outdoors, but don't know if you can try one for size?

I've ridden a Giant Trance and it's a very good bike. This time of year manufacturers bring out their 2018 bikes, so you can get a deal on 2017 bikes. A lot of the time it's just a different colour.

Thanks for your comments, I was seriously looking at the Giant and also a Boardman team fs, however, I managed to win a bike on ebay. A Specialized stumpjumper fsr carbon frame with a load of upgrades :D :D . Picking it up tomorrow and all being well, take it out this weekend, don't know where, maybe just to the mtb circuit nr me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 pm 
I know it's an old post but welcome to the forum! I'm fairly local to you so it's nice to see someone who knows my neck of the woods. Where abouts do you ride? I like to do a little thames loop taking in the RSPB site and the rainham MTB trail etc. Did you manage to find a bike yet?