Forum

Post subject: Mind control shifting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:37 pm 
Already on concept road bikes and huge off road potential too I think - for those with the cash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWzdWMapJ-c

Post subject: Re: Mind control shifting
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:31 pm 
It looks very impressive just not sure it's incredibly useful. I like the control that shifters give and the tactile feedback of something actually happening. I pull or push a lever and the gear changes, when that doesn't happen I can fix it with Allen keys and lubes and stuff I don't need a computer degree to work on it.

Just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:21 pm 
Yeah day to day it could be a night mare but at the level when it gets down to removing half your rotor bolts to save weight (as Steve Peat world champs last year I think) I can see this kinda thing used by the pros. on the other had something else to go wrong (Gee this year running tubeless springs to mind)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:33 pm 
OT I know but I thought all DH'ers ran tubeless. I converted last year and didn't get one puncture. I got a stains kit and proper UST tyres though. I would imagine them being able to run really low pressures would help with traction.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:00 pm 
Wow, that is extremely clever!!

Wonder if they could do brake systems?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:23 pm 
I think an electronic system would be a bit on/of with brakes. A bit of human touch for modulation / feedback is required. Eg when locking up (as I'm sure others do to) I some times find myself to have eased up and on again without really thinking about it to stop the skid, so don't see that woking for brakes - unless they can train the brain wave thing react as quick as the muscle memory?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:25 pm 
Duckcm18 wrote:
OT I know but I thought all DH'ers ran tubeless. I converted last year and didn't get one puncture. I got a stains kit and proper UST tyres though. I would imagine them being able to run really low pressures would help with traction.

Not 100% but I don't think he punctured but rolled the tube off the wheel, maybe too low pressure!