Forum

Post subject: Chainline Chaos!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:31 am 
Hi people

I need a bit of help. As Santa Cruz have stopped listing support stuff for the Bullit 2010 (idiots no longer do it. single pivot done well is heaven!) I am having issues with my chainline.
Initially I did have issues as it worked ok as not shifting from middle ring much. I have XT 2003 chainset and a 122mm (I think!) axle. it's octalink as dont see benefit as yet to move to X-Type BB's. The chainset has had minimal use.

Anyhoo, want to know if anyone can let me know more about chainlines or if I have to ditch the 42T chainring and move crank closer to frame and get a narrower BB axle. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Chainline Chaos!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:04 pm 
Jees - no idea - have you tried Santacruz.co.uk the main distributer?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:20 am 
Think Im just gonna have to loose the 42T ring and get a narrowerr axle BB. No drama as will get a double ring Saint set up next year

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:10 am 
What problem are you having? It's not very clear from your first post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:18 am 
I have a XT chainset from 2003ish and a 121mm BB. the chainline is so far over that the front mech doesnt line up with the chainrings as they are too far over.

As this is as 2010 bike will I need to change to a double ring set-up and go for an X-Type BB. I have been looking at a new Saint transmission or just getting a new chainset.

Has anyone had similar issues? I am on a serious budget as just bought new shocks (Fox Van 36 FIT RC2's and they is sweeeet)!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:28 pm 
Sounds like you just need a shorter bottom bracket. I used to have an XT octalink chainset the same as yours and the bottom brackets I believe come in different lengths. If you do have the cash get a new one as the new style ones are stiffer, stronger and easier to install, maintain etc.

--------------------------------------
www.gw-designs.co.uk/home

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:42 pm 
Not sure of it's within budget but you can get Shimano SLX Double and Bash or triple chainset Inc BB for £79.