Forum

Post subject: Re: Unnerving clicking sound from drivetrain??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:49 pm 
Ive been round the hole bike and tightened and checked for movement and found nothing, the only thing i can find is with the chain & cassette as i said before. After spinning it through the gears and watching what happened im 99% sure ive found where my click is coming from, on one of the teeth on the lower gears where im having the most problems as it passed over the tooth it had some play.

Although that being said i think ill try and have it checked out by someone with a clue before i go replacing everything and spending a fortune!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:53 pm 
First thing to change would be the chain then as that's the cheapest. I changed both the cassette and the chain as the chain was worn and the cassette had been on for ages. The chainset was fairly new though and has hardly any wear.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm 
Think im going to have a price up to replace it all and hope i get some work!!

I'm starting to realize this is a very expensive hobby!! lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:33 pm 
Is the tooth loose???..if its bent or misshaped get the grips of files on it..if u do need new bits best to buy yaself then get the shop to fit a,can get some good deals online..silly question but r all the links on the chain free..Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:59 pm 
None of the teeth seem to be loose or even bent, more just warn down on angles but not evenly. All links are free and working smoothly so i think its just down to wear and tare.

Maybe the shifter had not been set up very well meaning its always running to one side of the teeth? im really not sure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:26 pm 
If the teeth are worn down on angles and unevenly you have a twist in your chain, if you haven't removed it yet wind the crank round till the knackered teeth mach contact with the chain and that will probably be where the dodgy links start.

get a new chain for 5 mins peace, but the wear on the cog will soon knacker the new chain too !

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:45 pm 
Sorry if this obvious but you just fitted new peddles, are you sure its not one of them a bit loose as ive had the same thing with new peddles even when they seemed tight just needed a little bit more..

also have a look around the rear Derailleur and see if it moves the same time as the click, could be a sticking jokey wheel or may just need the cable backing off a tad...

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:52 pm 
Yeah ive double checked the pedals and it did happen before with the old ones.

Ive noticed a little movement in the derailleur but im a little nervous about playing about (still a massive noob)
I think before i spend out ill have to have someone who knows what there talking about check it out for me, what bike shops would you guys recommend? no way im taking it to halfords or cycles uk with there reputation and extortionate prices!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:32 pm 
Cycles UK in Grays are pretty good, Carl and Stewart are decent lads and have helped me out several times..

if the derailleur is kicking in time to the click its worth turning the adjuster on the shifter (on the bars) a few clicks it, you will see it its obvious. just turn it clock wise a few clicks at a time (keep count) and see if it stops the problem. if it doesent you can just turn it back the same amount of click so no harm done. it will take a bit of tension out of the cable, hence a bit of tension out of the derailleur...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:38 pm 
Hi Festa, ive actually just spent a good half hour playing with the adjustment on my shifter trying to find the sweet spot.
Im still not 100% sure if its fixed but ive just taken it up and down the road a couple of times without the click!!

Still going to have it checked over but not quite so paranoid about something going horribly wrong if i get a ride in this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:46 pm 
Nice one bit of luck you done it :)

thing is mountain bikes do make noises due to the nature of the riding and all the mud etc, gears slip at times when mud gets in when riding so dont get paranoid, most of the time its just a good clean and lube needed or just a minor adjustment. cables do need lubing from time to time as do the shifters, you will soon get the hang of it...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm 
Yeah i guess its just going to take a bit of time and patients, i'm just glad i found the forum otherwise i think id of gone mad by now!! lol

Thanks alot for all the help and suggestions guys, much appreciated!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:26 pm 
Here is my squeaky bike debug process... geektastic! And suggestions on how to improve it are welcome.

Work through issues in a logical fashion... its saves a lot of time.
Attachments:
Drawing1.jpg
Drawing1.jpg [ 73.87 KiB | Viewed 309 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:13 pm 
Awesome level of geekiness! Did you write that on a baby induced sleepless night or is work not too busy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:58 pm 
I was going to answer in a post but it got confusing :crazy: so was quicker to knock that up.. took 10 mins
Attachments:
T609B06.gif
T609B06.gif [ 2.8 KiB | Viewed 306 times ]