Forum

Post subject: Unnerving clicking sound from drivetrain??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:19 pm 
Hi guys and gals.

Ive just taken my bike for a little test ride after receiving my new pedals today and noticed a strange metallic clicking sound while pedaling.
Ive actually had this problem before with a halfords special single speed and it turned out to be the freewheel which after a weeks use broke and sent me face first into the road (love halfords bikes)

Anyways my question is, has anyone else experienced this and if so what did you do to fix the problem?
I'm guessing it could be a bunch of things such as cassette, bottom bracket, cranks or rear hub maybe im really not sure.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Karl

Post subject: Re: Unnerving clicking sound from drivetrain??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:35 pm 
No the dread clicking sound! I've just had that too. Could swear it was coming from the Bottom Bracket. Stripped it down, cleaned everything and rebuilt, no difference. Then bought a new sram chain (have HG cassette and SLX chainset) but the chain just skipped under power. This was my clue. New cassette and the clicking has gone as the chain had stretched and the cassette had many many miles on it (1000+).
So maybe first check the chain for wear. Then check the cassette teeth for wear, maybe strip the chainset and BB and re-tighten to correct torque. Does it click when dong any pedaling or just when under a bit of power?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:53 pm 
Lol very dreaded!! When i had it before id of put money on it being the the cranks and boy was i wrong lol.
The strange thing is my cassette and chain is brand spanking new!! the cassette its self is an SRAM so not to cheap and nasty.
It happens very randomly never twice in a row but always when im putting drive down although it doesnt have to be much.

I dont actually have the tools of knowledge to strip it down so im at a bit of a loss..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:04 pm 
Hey guy's take a look at this vid over on bikeradar

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/video-workshop-how-to-get-rid-of-creaks-33212

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm 
Thanks for that chatman, ill go give it a tweak and see if it still happens.

Could it be that my cassette is over/under tightened?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:30 pm 
May very well be the chain I've had it before it sounds like a crank/bb and its the chain was about to snap! Just what i needed in an XC race but hey!

It's the most annoying thing about bikes "the" creak

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:33 pm 
Im starting to think this is going to become very annoying!! remind you of a red and white giant at all matt? lol

(EDIT) Forgot to ask, is there a way i can tell if the chains on it way out without just waiting for it to snap on me?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm 
This might be helpful: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10219

http://www.moohcowh.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:57 pm 
Cheers Mooh, think ill be ordering a few tools and maybe some new parts!!

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if you could check this with some of the digital measuring calipers, and if so where should i be checking and what should it be?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:58 pm 
Karl89 wrote:
(EDIT) Forgot to ask, is there a way i can tell if the chains on it way out without just waiting for it to snap on me?

Easiest way is with a chain wear tool. Otherwise use a ruler to measure 24 half links. If this measures more than 30.6cm then the chain has more the 0.5% wear and should be replaced. More wear than this then you should replace the cassette too.
I used to use a cycle computer to keep track of my mileage but since last July I've use Endomodo and the chain had done 600+ miles so was little past replacement time!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:27 pm 
Iv'e just had a good look at the chain and cassette while moving and noticed a couple of points where it doesn't engage properly.
Although the chain and cassette are only 2 months old there is some uneven wear on the cassette (some teeth worn some almost perfect)
Also noticed a couple of points through the gears where on a single tooth it will try and thrown the chain down a gear so i'm assuming both of these problems could be causing my "clicking"

One thing i'm wondering now is if i change the rear cassette and chain, will i have to change my front sprocket as well? i'm guessing the chain will just fallow the wear from that and cause the lot to wear faster than it should be.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:32 pm 
I had the same problem,drove me mad..mine sounded like it was the drive chain..does it do at any specific time?, when pedaling/sitting down/standing up?..i took aprt what i could (nothing in the drive chain) and greesed..even greased the bottle cage and the rear mech hanger and it fixed it..good luck..Z

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 pm 
As you said it could be anything. I had one once and it was my saddle rails where it made contact with the seat post and another where it was the seat clamp. A clean sorted it but because sounds vibrate around the frame it can often appear to be something it's not. Good luck in finding it.

www.gw-designs.co.uk/home

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:36 pm 
banjoboy wrote:
i had the same problem,drove me mad..mine sounded like it was the drive chain..does it do at any specific time?, when pedaling/sitting down/standing up?..i took aprt what i could (nothing in the drive chain) and greesed..even greased the bottle cage and the rear mech hanger and it fixed it..good luck..Z

Its only happening when pedaling but doesn't have to be cranking hard. Iv'e not had it while sitting yet but chances are that just because its a flow moe dj and sitting isn't really an option lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:38 pm 
These things can be a right pain to find.. as the video shows.. don't always assume it's the BB... I had a loose pedal and dry grease.. drove me mad as he pedal clicked under foot.. greased it up and all sorted... I have a small click from the cables on my current new bike.. a bit of tape here/there will sort it.....

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A