Forum

Post subject: Forum Suggestion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:55 am 
I don't know how much work would be involved or even how to do it but I was thinking it would be handy if there was a UK map with all the well known riding spots on. Theres so many new(ish) ones popping up it would be good have a reference point to see their location.

Post subject: Re: Forum Suggestion.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 am 
Ive saved loads of locations on to google maps on laptop and that automatically saves them to google maps on my phone, like u say though, more and more keep popping up, Perhaps we could get something like google maps connected to this forum and members can then update as they are found/thought of?

Going to be spending a lot of money on fuel this year!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 am 
Yeah thats the kind of think im after to look at really, just unsure of how to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 am 
Ill get a copy of this up here later and see if what we can do, its just going to be a bit awkward having an open public map as anyone will be able to get on and delete/make up locations but there are options available.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:43 pm 
Maybe could just a static regional one for different regions a bit like the one we have already..just click on the region you want displayed .ie : wales , midlands, south west south east and so on.! think it should be only one person (karve) that can access tho so quality of info stays the same.
p.s. im saying all this but dont know if at all possible as im a computer mong!

--------------------------------------
trees dont move!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 pm 
Yeah it's all possible. Can even be tied into your forum account and could be moderated first by Karve. It would be a bit of work though and I'm not sure Jon has the time or would want to put in the hours doing this. There is that dirt trails site that has something similar already, http://www.moredirt.co.uk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:04 pm 
Ive opened a new google account and have started listing places on there but will take a while,and I havnt worked out how to change the name of places yet,at present it just says, Northwood end road' for chicksands, which dosnt mean a lot to newbies, The Moredirt site listed above is good though, perhaps a sneaky link to that on MTB Trails page would work

Im going to complete this google map anyway and see if its worth having up here somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:06 pm 
Got another suggestion too, sorry Karve. :oops:

reply all option to multiple pm's would be really useful, if its not a really quick job then dont worry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 am 
Cool . Its great to see site suggestions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maps

There already is a quite a good implementation of this over at http://www.extremesportsmap.com/uk/ Its great for finding lesser known spots. Amazing how many DJ spots there are around! As mentioned http://www.moredirt.co.uk/region/United-Kingdom/trails/ also has a good guide and there is also http://www.mtbtrails.info/. I'm not sure how much value there is in trying to doing something which has been done several times already.

The EHMTB maps value comes from the fact that we ride the venues regularly so the content is relatively fresh and detailed. The forum integration is unique as well but only really works with the local stuff that we ride regularly.

Funnily enough there have been a few updates on the maps recently - Christmas ive had time off ;)

> All work in progress an if you spot any nonsense / bugs let me know.
> New venues – Swinley, N Downs, Porc, Bedgebury
> Direction /location enhancements on each venue where possible with postcodes
> A London hub which list out details on how to get to the venues from central London by train
> Updates to venues – ie chicksands has a link to the new proposed trail updates.
> Coming soon – each venue will link into the trail conditions thread http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... t1463.html and pull recent posts in.

We do have some good threads on up and coming spots

> Revolution - http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... -t329.html
> Antur Stinlog - http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... t1186.html
> South Wales Bike park - http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... t1825.html

I might pull these together into a one pager of cool places to include - Rogate, UKBP Gawton, Triscomobe, FOD, Antur Stinlog, Gethin Woods, Cwmcarn, Style Cop, Revolution etc. and anything new which looks exciting and might warrant a trip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply All

The reply all thing has bugged me for a while. I've no idea why I didn’t think of doing something about it. Thanks for highlighting it. As its arsing about with PHPBB's core functionality it might not be an easy enhancement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 am 
Not sure how much help i can be but i've been running a phpbb board for the last 14yrs so if you find you have a lot of moderation or tweaks to implement i can help, plus I'm online all day mon-thurs anyway ! my phpbb coding got a bit stale a while back as i didnt have to do any but I'm ok now and more than familiar with acp etc as well

Sent using the force...

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:06 am 
Thanks Jon, dont worry about it then. Its more to do with people replying and not adding additional recipients in which can lead to everyone not seeing all the relevant info but dont worry as it sounds complicated.

Laser came up with an good solution, if you use the add friends function then all the recipients can be added simply by clicking the name.

Noticed those updates, once again, cheers for all you work on this site :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 am 
Reply all added over a cuppa this morning :high5: so wasnt very tricky in the end. You will only see it when the message you receive is sent to multiple recipients.

unityjon thanks for the offer. Good to know there is someone else to ask if i get stuck. Eccles has some tech power as well i believe,

Post subject: Re: Forum Suggestion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am 
Yeah Eccles managed to give me a quick steer when i realised I'd forgotten what i was doing last year briefly LOL

its an open offer, any time.

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:47 pm 
Cheers Jon :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:50 pm 
Cool just gets better!

trees dont move!