Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Arse...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:54 pm 
Andy, that's great to hear. I was told by consultant I didn't need surgery but afterwards I hoped this wasn't because I had answered his question of 'what do you do for a living' with he fact I work in IT.
Read quite a bit last night and thankfully it seemed to be the general concencus was the non-surgery approach with proper physio after sufficient rest, etc.

I'll have a read on that site tonight, thanks. I also need to see what the NHS referred physio has to say when I state I don't just want to be fixed to be able to 'function' but to fully active again both on my MTB and other pursuits.

If that fails I can invoke my BUPA cover through work which incurrs a £100 excess but bad no problem paying that if it means a 'proper' recovery. I'll see what's said first though :)

And yes, bloody big impact ;) !!

Post subject: Re: arse...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:05 pm 
unityjon wrote:

should make sat night a bit more interesting, im sleeping out in the woods!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 pm 
Generally with any ACJ injuries, it doesn't matter what your activity levels, they normally leave it if they can. I know some pro rugby teams where all they do is remove it in grade I and II injuries, only bother repairing it once conservative management has failed. Mainly due to the success rates and lengthy period of rehab and decreased activity post repair. Basically if I had the same injury I wouldn't be rushing for the surgeons knife :)

Any other questions, more than happy for you to PM me.

and I do NHS physio as well, we're not all that bad ;)

Out of curiosity, do you remember what position your arm was in when you landed?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:25 pm 
andy83 wrote:

Out of curiosity, do you remember what position your arm was in when you landed?

the wrong one ? ;)

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 pm 
Hi EV, I hope you have a quick recovery mate! I also had my shoulder smashed about a couple of months ago, fortunately nothing broken or need of surgery. Just today I got the letter from the physio asking to call for an appointment. Despite I have got back the full movement of my shoulder but it's still feels very uncomfortable. If I had the option of treating it without waiting so long I would have take it, I'm I would be 100% now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
Cheers Andy,

I've never had any need of physio before (in fact I suppose I've never had a 'real injury' before now... Apart from burning a layer off my whole face as a kid with a chemistry set ;) )
Forgive my rash assumption of not being sent through the correct recovery physio process, but a few people had straight away said I was most probably going to need more physio than offered to me as standard. :)

I'm already feeling the injury settle down and not dependant on painkillers, instead only taking them when needed and Pre-emptive at night to make sure I get a full night's sleep.

With regards arm position in the crash, I don't even remember having the chance to naturally put my arms out to brace.. It seemed so instantaneous. I think I hit the ground straight on my left shoulder (with my head scraping along too from the looks of my lid, and I remember hitting it too). My glove on that arm was also ripped off my hand which confirms my arm was dragged as opposed to out in front.
When I think about it and notice all the other little cuts, etc. I realise I could easily have come out of it even worse.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm 
Cheers decoxx,

One friend suggested that the fact I was referred to the fracture clinic might hopefully mean 'jumping the queue' to physio.
Also, the consultant seemed to be basically saying the injury needed 1-2 weeks rest after which physio should start, that I'd know when it was ready.
I'm hoping the appointment is forthcoming but if I've not heard anything by early next week I'll be popping round there to see what's occurring. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:06 pm 
Ev did you fall into the dip after the kicker next to the tree on the way to practice jump?

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:12 pm 
Yep.. Was fed up having to skip right, over the crest to avoid the slop on the left and subsequently want a couple more pedal strokes to get speed for clearing the proper jump so opted to try to use the kicker so already on right hand side and pump on landing to avoid further pedal strokes.
Scoped it 1st time and it worked but thought 'ok, a little more speed this time and use the kicker more' and as I was descending I already felt it wasn't quite right so was expecting to have to recover and possibly abort but never got the chance.. Immediate smash! Oops

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 pm 
I saw a big scuff mark there today...........................................good luck physio asap best thing dont wait for them!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 pm 
Haha.. Seems funny if my mark still there ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 pm 
Sounds pretty shot - healing vibes

Not an expert in the teminology but I have experience of nearly loosing a shoulder out the front and also the bottom whilst avoiding a dislocation (-an assortment of injuries from kayaking). So I give the below advice based on that experience.

I would say that good physio can make an amazing impact on rehab for your shoulder. There are all sorts of very small but very important muscles in there that basically make an inherently unstable joint, stable (e.g rotator cuffs).

If the physio does not recommend buying an assortment of different colour thera-bands then see more people. There are fantastic as the shoulder needs very slow exercise at light resistance to make sure you are working those smaller muscles without larger muscles in your back trying to activate. Start really light and sloooooow.

The good news is that due to the vast amount of soft tissue involved, physio should get you close to 100%, as it takes the hit rather than any bone.

Good luck and stick at the physio, shoulders are complicated so if in doubt do what the physio said and ignore my web based opinion.

Nigel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm 
SurferEv wrote:

maybe it will freeze in place .........like hans solo!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:19 pm 
luvinit wrote:
SurferEv wrote:

maybe it will freeze in place .........like hans solo!

Haha, nice one ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:20 pm 
Cheers Nigel,

Good to get as much info as I can so I can try to ensure I get as much recovery as possible :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next